Monday, October 10, 2011

You fill up my senses; my first, my last, my everything

For some reason I have never really felt comfortable to make declarations of undying love to people in romantic relationships. I would hear some of the lyrics of love songs and they rather describe my relationship with the Lord, instead of with a person of flesh and blood. I struggled to find a good example at first – Murphy’s law: you find it when you’re not looking for it, right? Finally I found Barry White’s My first, my last, my everything.


I couldn’t sing these words to a man. No person is my first, my last or my everything. That is what God is to me, and I just don’t feel comfortable sharing that with anyone else. Neither do I desire to be that to
someone else. I want someone for whom God will be their first, their last, their everything, and then perhaps they will know how to love me – God’s precious daughter - because they know the One who is love.

Don't get me wrong, I don’t think these love songs are bad. On the contrary; for me they are worship songs instead. I sing them to the Lord – the relevant bits anyway (of course). Some days I’ve woken up in the morning with a non-Christian song in my heart - some days a message of encouragement, some days a reassurance of His love for me, and some days an expression of my love for Him. In those intimate moments when our hearts connect with a song I fall in love with Him all over again!

Today was just such a day for me (but now, whereas as I woke up with one song in my heart, I’m going to bed with two - thanks Barry!)

Today I want to tell you this from my heart, Lord:

You fill up my senses like a night in a forest, like the mountains in springtime, like a walk in the rain, like a storm in the desert, like a sleepy blue ocean. Let me drown in your laughter, let me lie in your arms, let me always be with you. You fill up my senses, come fill me again.

You’re the answer to all my dreams. You’re my sun, my moon, my guiding star - that’s what you are. You’re like the first morning dew on a brand new day. I know there is only one like you. You’re all I’m living for; your love I’ll keep forevermore. You're my first, my last, my everything.


No comments: